Thursday, January 19, 2006

Still Broken…



I had to get up way too early this morning! I had to be at Barnes Radiology Department at 7 a.m. I am here to tell you that 7 o’clock in the morning is WAY too early to have to be anywhere! But, I have to be at work at 9, so I had to work out my appointments to make sure that I didn’t miss any work. So, I had my X-rays and headed across the hall to see the best neck surgeon in the world. My friends and I had prayed that he would say, “See you in a year- Things look great.” Well, that particular prayer wasn’t quite answered, well at least not like we had hoped that it would be.

I am healing MUCH better than I did the first time. The bones are fusing like they are supposed to, and the bone growth looks good. The piece of bone from my hip looks like it has settled nicely in its new location, and there are no problems with that. There is no evidence of infection, and my SED Rate is right where it needs to be. Praise God. All of these things mean that I am STABLE! Hooray! ………. You can hear it coming though, can’t you? …. Here it comes…. BUT, there is still concern about my blood counts, and there is a concern about one of the screws on the right side…Sigh…. I am so tired of being broken.

I won’t bore you with all of the details; I will just say this: The best-case scenario is a little medication, a little physical therapy, and a lot of prayer. The worst-case scenario is well…I am not even going to say it.

So, I solicit your prayers…again…. still….

I feel fine. In fact I feel great. To God be the glory for all of the healing that He has provided me with, and for all of the healing that He plans to bless me with very, very soon.

9 comments:

Jason Harbison said...

I pray for you everyday, and I love you more and more each day. I thank God for the good news and pray that he will take care of the other "concerns"

It will all work out, everything is going to be ok,

Love,
Jason

Anonymous said...

My Dear Friend Conni:

I pray for you everyday - numerous times. I cannot begin to imagine the pain you have experienced with your surgeries - yet you always smile and have an encouraging word for everyone - how do you do it? We are all better because of knowing you. You are so special to us!! God will always prevail in your life - He will make everything OK - even if the OK is not the way you or those who love and depend on you think it should be.
Love,
Carol

Anonymous said...

I will definitely say prayers for you. I do want to say though, that while reading your post, I realized for the first time that you had a bone graft during your surgery. As a former orthopedic nurse, I sat here and said aloud "OWWWWWWW." For most of my patients, that was always the most painful part of the process.

I hope your counts cooperate and the screws do okay.

Conni H. said...

Thanks for the comments....

I am the only person I know who can say, "I have a screw loose" and actually be telling the absolute truth! It's kind of fun!

As far as the blood counts go, they are nothing but frustrating to me. It seems that no matter what I do, I just can't get my body to cooperate!

The bone graft was AWFUL... much worse than the incision (which wasn't a picnic either), but it all worked out okay. God is good.

Jenny Reijgers said...

Hey Conni,
Sorry things haven't worked out the way you were hoping. I truly sympathize with you and can't imagine going through that pain over and over again. I'm so sorry and I'll definitely be praying for you.

Anonymous said...

We're praising God for the good report and will continue to pray that you get that loose screw tightened soon!

Anonymous said...

hey C,

You know I am thinking all my good thoughts for you. . .I will even verbalize a prayer (which is the highest support I can give).

You have already paid your dues in the area of health issues. . .do what you need to do to get better. . .you have come thru things they never thought you would. . .made liars out of all of them. . .you will this time too!

hannah said...

You are one courageous woman! Praying for the best case scenario as your recovery story gets even greater. I'm so glad you "feel" okay, and hope there's even better days ahead. You're the smartest woman with a loose screw that I know! More prayers on your behalf...

Becky said...

Hang in there Conni! You have had such a positive attitude throughout all you have been through- and that attitude alone helps the healing! It will keep getting better and better! Praying for you always!