Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Just Do It!


It’s my turn to lead the devotional tomorrow for our staff meeting. I was absolutely sure that I was going to talk about unity, until I started to prepare. Tonight, I came home and grabbed my Bible and started the process. I prayed and asked for God’s blessing. Unity…..hmmmm….unity……???

It just wasn’t meant to be. The more I studied, the more I realized God was leading me in a different direction. It seemed that every page I turned to was pointing me in the direction of trusting God. I ultimately wound up in Luke 5. Most of us know the story. Peter and his friends spend all night trying to catch fish. They catch ZERO fish. (Can you imagine how frustrated you would be?) Anyway, after a very maddening night, Jesus comes along and tells them to put their nets out again. Now, wait a minute…how does this carpenter know more about fishing then the fishermen? I must admit I would have been skeptical. But Peter’s faith was solid. He said, “We’ve worked hard all night, and we haven’t caught any, but because you say so, I will let down the nets.” Peter and the others were blessed for their faith and obedience.

Peter’s example is one that we can all learn from. We don’t have to understand what we are being asked to do when the Father asks us to do something. We don’t have to “get it” and we don’t have to like it. It doesn’t have to make sense, and it doesn’t have to be comfortable for us.

There are a lot of things that we are called to do as Christians that may not seem to make sense to us at the time that we are asked to do them (or endure them). But we have to trust God, His plan and His word. When it gets scary or seems ridiculous, we need to adopt Peter’s faith and Nike’s slogan, and JUST DO IT!


Maybe I will do my next devo on unity.

1 comment:

Jason Harbison said...

The more I read about Peter, the more I admire him. In our Wed. night men's class we study about Peter. What I like the most about Peter is he jumped right in with both feet and "Just Did It". Sometimes it got him in trouble but other time he was blessed, "caught fish".

We can learn so much from him, I love that Jesus called him "rock". Why do you think that Jesus call him "rock"? Was it because of his faith? Did Jesus give it to him because Peter would live up to it?

Thanks for the lesson babe : )