Sunday, January 01, 2006

An Amazing Woman


My life was blessed a few years ago, when I was introduced to Ms. Gin. In the last year particularly, my love has grown for her, and in many ways, she has become a hero of mine. At the ripe young age of 91, she still has the most incredible servant heart of anyone I have ever met. She inspires me to remember what is important in life, and that the most critical thing that any of us can do is serve the Lord. She is everything that I hope to be someday.

I wasn’t blessed to know Ms. Gin’s husband, as he left this world long ago. But every time I read about the wife of noble character in Proverbs 31, I think about what a lucky man he was to have Ms. Gin by his side. She is one of the kindest, gentlest, and humblest people I know. She works hard at everything that she does, and doesn’t want any recognition for anything. She freely gives of her time and her resources to help those in need, and always has a hug handy; just in case. Ms. Gin loves to sew, and makes the best apple pie that I have ever tasted. She buries herself in the Word, serves in any capacity for which she is asked, and is outwardly grateful for all of the blessings in her life.

As you might suspect of any 91 year old, Ms. Gin has her share of medical issues. Amazingly, I have never, ever, not even once, heard her complain. In fact, I heard her say once, “I could complain about my aches and pains, or I can thank God that I am still alive to feel them.” Wow- what an awesome attitude. In her lifetime, she has seen a lot of different things, and has experienced a lot of heartache. But, once again, she focuses on the positive. I have never heard her say an unkind word about anyone.

Ms. Gin has raised an amazing family. While I am not fortunate enough to know them all, I have been fortunate enough to get to know a few. I know one of her daughters well, and she is also an amazing woman. Ms. Gin has passed on her gentleness, kindness, humility, and love for the Lord. I pray that she finds true joy in knowing that.

I remember last year when my grandmother died. Ms. Gin said to me, “I can’t replace your grandmother, I know that she was so special to you, but I am here for you if you ever need someone to be your grandma for just a little while.” She was right, she could never replace my grandma, but she opened her heart and arms to me to help fill one of the biggest voids in my life after grandma was gone. Her willingness to step in, even for just a little while, was a vital part to healing the brokenness that I felt after losing my grandmother. This one of dozens of examples that I could give to demonstrate the beautiful heart of a sweet 91-year-old woman.

I am thankful for you Ms. Gin. I am thankful that our paths have crossed in this lifetime, and I look forward to worshipping with you for all of eternity. I love you!

5 comments:

Jason Harbison said...

I couldn't agree more with my wife. Ms. Gin is wonderful! She is so special to so many people. I have seen her interact with everyone at the church. I know that she has touched everyone who she has comes into contact with. I too think of her as one of my Grandmothers. Thank you Ms. Gin for your example.

hannah said...

Amen! Ms.Gin has the sweetest spirit and loves people just like they're family. I think I'd describe her with every Fruit of the Spirit. Her family is also proof of what a wonderful woman she is. Ms.Gin was a best friend to my grandma Opal.. She still has that lively side & is the youngest, prettiest 90-year-old around!

TheGlissonFamily said...

Thanks Conni for saying it so beautifully. My Gramma Gin is such a wonderful woman and our family has been so blessed to have her live with us for 20 plus years. I learn new things about her life everytime we are together and I love to see her interact with Sydney and Abigail. I love you Gramma!

Bradford L. Stevens said...

We should just create a Ms. Gin tribute page! She is an extraordinary lady whom you just look forward to spending eternity with someday! Her life is full of the grace that emanates from the Holy Spirit. She reminds me of Anna in the temple: "And there was a prophetess, Anna, the daughter of Phan'u-el, of the tribe of Asher; she was of a great age, having lived with her husband seven years from her virginity, and as a widow till she was eighty-four. She did not depart from the temple, worshiping with fasting and prayer night and day. And coming up at that very hour she gave thanks to God, and spoke of him to all who were looking for the redemption of Jerusalem." [Luke 2:36-38] I don't think Ms. Gin is a prophetess; but, she is one who gives thanks to God and speaks of him to all who will listen. I think God keeps some folks around for us like Anna and Ms. Gin so we will have some role models.

Well said Conni!

Conni H. said...

Brad and Rebekah- thanks for stopping in! Your grandma tells me about your girls often. They are truly a blessing in her life, and she grins from ear to ear when she talks about them.

By the way, I enjoy your blog as well...and please forgive me, as I "borrowed" the picture for this post from your Christmas blog!

Have a Happy New Year, and thanks for sharing your grandmother with the rest of us!