Sunday, January 29, 2006

Say something nice!

I was recently told by one of my boss’s bosses, that I work in a place where I have over 400 regular “customers.” I think that there is some truth to that. As a church secretary, I have a lot of people who look to me to fix problems, schedule events, listen to their issues, offer solutions, and meet their needs in a variety of areas. These same people are the ones who scrutinize and critique my work on a regular basis.

Last week, as I was completing all of the week’s work, and preparing items for our services this morning, I made an error. It was a simple error, which had no serious consequences. But it was an error, none-the-less. You see, I put the wrong date on today’s bulletin. Now, keep in mind, that 3 other people (besides me), with college degrees also proofread the bulletin. None of us caught it. It was late Friday afternoon that I noticed the error, and unfortunately, the bulletins were already printed, folded and stuffed. Being who I am, I considered rerunning all of them…but, also being who I am, decided not to because it would have been a HUGE waste of time and resources. So, I made a mental note to remember to check the date next time, and moved along.

This morning, I was not even in the building a full five minutes when one of our deacons approached me and said, “You made a mistake. The date on the bulletin is wrong. We need to announce it from the pulpit so people know that it is actually today’s bulletin.” I replied simply by saying, “Yes, I made a mistake, but I think people will be able to figure it out.” Throughout the course of the morning, about a half dozen people or so felt the need to point out my mistake. In fact, as I was leaving the building, one of our shepherds stopped me to point it out to me, and suggested that I set my computer up to automatically change the date for me.

Why is it that people are so quick to point out the negative? Why is it that so few want to share when things are right, or when something good happens? But people have no problem at all pointing out a simple, common mistake, and some seem to feel that it is necessary to announce the error from the pulpit! Is it ever announced from the pulpit when I do something right? Encouragement and appreciation go a long, long way. Pointing out only the negatives, (especially when they are negatives with little or no consequences) only bring people down, and make them feel under appreciated.

I am thankful for the few (very few) who say “thank you” and “I appreciate you.” For those who have only negative things to say, feel free to contact me at the church building during my normal work hours.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey. . .i appreciate you. . .

Period. . .just for who you are

Phooey on the rest of them that need to prove their own sense of superiority to themselves by dissing on you

To heck with them!! You have a family that loves you, and have done more with your life than most can DREAM of. I do well to even know what MONTH it is most of the time! One day off is nothing at all.

4wq890a

Conni H. said...

Well, thanks...but let's not jump too soon here...I dont think people need to feel superior or anything (well at least not most). I just think as humans we are so quick to point out the negative. I am guilty too...

oh yeah,.... it wasn't a day off... I was a week off. (call in the firing squad...it is punishable by death).

Anonymous said...

You know I love and appreciate you - everyday - and you KNOW I feel your talents are not even being tapped. I had not even noticed the date on the bulletin. If it were not for my cell phone, I would probably never know the date. What counts is that we were together worshipping God and communing around His table.

Bradford L. Stevens said...

Thanks for all you do! You are correct, we never say "thank you" enough. My apologies.

Guatorean Daddy said...

As one of your "customers"-I think you rock at what you do.

Jason Harbison said...

I totally understand where you are coming from. I so appreciate your hard work, your dedication, your faith, and I just appreciate you in every aspect!

Becky said...

My mom was the church sec. for a LONG time (In fact I think you took her place!) :) and she would always roll her eyes when I pointed out her mistakes and we would both laugh... we both knew she would probably hear about it from 10 other people, and of course she always did. Just so you know, YOU ARE AWESOME!!!! I really think that people take the church sec. for granted... from what I understand, you are put in the middle of more than you want to be! We all make mistakes in our jobs, and sometimes all we can do is laugh... everyone else should, too, because it's not the end of the world and they need to get over it!! You should see what some agents do with contracts! Try putting the wrong YEAR on one of those! WHOOPS!!! :) We love you Conni!!!!

Anonymous said...

Becky is right - it is a long time tradition to find the faults of the secretary - Diann warned me about that and I'm sorry if I didn't prepare you for it - take it with a grain of salt and laugh it off. By the way, I can't tell you how many times I've wanted to point out some of the mistakes the bosses and upper bosses make - but even though I don't work for them anymore - I just bite my tongue and keep the little joke to myself - but it's so tempting to say "A HA - you're not perfect either!!" There's no pleasing everybody - you're doing great - just smile sweetly and walk away. Just remind yourself of the many who do appreciate you.

Conni H. said...

Ann- now we wouldn't want to stand in the way of tradition, now would we? (hehehe) I know I just need to laugh it off...but it sure would be nice if it was noticed what I did right more often than what I do wrong. But, hey, I guess I signed up for this! Its alright, the massive amounts of money that I am paid make up for any inconvenience of having all of my faults pointed out!