Tuesday, January 24, 2006

One Year Anniversary


It's hard to believe it, but it is true. It has been exactly one year since my first neck surgery in 2005. Yes, it was on January 24, 2005 that I was admitted to Barnes Jewish Hospital for a bone graft and spinal fusion. I'll be honest; I had no earthly idea what I was getting into, nor did I have a clue how much pain I was about to experience. Even though Dr. Riew told me multiple times that the pain would be unbearable times, I didn't believe him. I figured that it couldn't be worse than childbirth, and I managed to struggle through that! Well, I was wrong. It was by far the most painful thing that I had ever experienced. I had a morphine pump, but it didn't seem to the trick, even though I was able to give a dose to myself every 5 minutes. I remember it well. I remember MAR standing next to my bed, and asking him, "Has it been 5 minutes yet?" only to be told that it had been about 45 seconds. So, I waited, and asked again..."Has it been 5 minutes yet?" only to be told that it now had only been 2 minutes! He tried to get my mind off of the pain by talking and praying with me. Time drug on, and on, and on. I also remember JRM standing next to my bed and forcing me to eat. LITERALLY...I would open my mouth to say something and she would shove food in it! I remember JPT reading the Bible to me, and RAW helping me with whatever I needed. I remember Jason's dad holding my hand as they put my PICC line in (NO FUN), and Jason's mom making sure that Bekah was taken care of. I remember Jason holding my hand and taking such good care of me. I remember JPG (aka BG) helping me walk down the hall the first time, and making me laugh, even though I hurt so bad. I remember my mom by my side at every possible moment, and Bekah wanting nothing more than to be with me. It was a tough time for us all.

Anyway, the surgery was mainly successful. I did struggle with a pretty major infection and sported a beautiful PICC line for almost 10 weeks. It took me a long time to get back to "normal" but I eventually got there, only to learn that I required another surgery! OUCH! (Sorry, you'll have to wait until October for a recap of that one!)

The man in the picture is my neck surgeon! As my friend RAW says, "Dr. Riew rocks, but God rocks stronger and louder!" Dr. Riew is an amazing surgeon and an amazing man. He is world-renowned. People literally come from all over the world for him to fix their cervical spine problems. He is not too quick to cut anyone open, and he won't try to help someone that he doesn't believe that he can help. He is a humble, gentle, and kind man. He admits that his skills are a gift from God, and gives Him glory for the work that he does.

I am probably boring you all. Sorry. I am so thankful for the surgery that I had a year ago today. My life has been blessed because of it. (Even though it hurt REALLY badly!)

3 comments:

Jason Harbison said...

It was a rough time but God, friends and family saw us thru it all. It was very hard to see my wife like that but I knew it would be ok. I am so blessed to have a wife like her, and a friend like her. She has truly been a blessing in my life and I do not know what I would do with out her! I love you!

hannah said...

Wow Connie! Congrats on being 1 yr post initial sx, its amazing you made it through all that! What a story to share... Hope youre feeling awfully strong & healthy today! You win for Xrays and patient of the year.

Becky said...

And don't forget that YOU ROCK, Conni!!!! :) It takes a strong person to get through that, and now you're even stronger because of it!