Sunday, November 06, 2005

Thanks, Oprah!

I must admit that since I have been home during the day recovering, I watch entirely too much TV. I am not a huge talk show fan; in fact, most of them irritate me to no end, so I usually avoid them. In spite of that fact, I am often intrigued, and even impressed with Oprah. Don't get me wrong, I could easily do without the weight loss and adultery focused shows, but I don't think anyone can argue the fact that Oprah is doing really wonderful things. I really believe that she is changing the world that we live in for the good.

About a week ago, I was flipping channels and came across her show. She was talking about a new campaign that she has started to get wanted child molesters off of the streets. After showing pictures of these wanted perpetrators, she explained to the audience that she would personally give a $100,000 reward to anyone who was willing to aid in the capture and arrest of these wanted criminals. Wow! I suppose that it is sad that people need to be paid to do what is right anyway, but money talks, and it always has.

As scary as it is, Oprah is facing the facts of childhood sexual abuse, and she is asking us to do the same. As a survivor herself, this is a close subject to her heart. If the statistics are correct, one out of every four girls and one out of six boys will be sexually abused by the time they are 18 years old. I personally applaud Oprah for reminding us that America has a huge problem on our hands when it comes to the abuse of children. Thank you Oprah.

I know that we are all busy, but please take a second to check out Oprah.com and take a look at these perpetrators. Also, please read the link about what we can do to keep our kids, (and other kids too) safe. Who knows, you might be $100,000 richer and countless children may be protected if you do.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

have a peek hereofficial website this contenttry this navigate hereread more