Monday, November 07, 2005

Farewell to Busch Stadium


“Grandpa, take me to see the Cardinals…PLLEEEEEAAASSSEE?!” I have a lot of memories of Busch Stadium, and as the wrecking ball starts swinging today, I can’t help but to feel a little bit sad. Grandpa and I spent many Saturday and Sunday afternoons cheering on the amazing St. Louis Cardinals. We were lucky to have tickets to several games over the years, but we didn’t complain if we had to watch the game in the comfort of his living room on the Zenith console TV that he was proud to tell you that he had fixed multiple times. As I think about the demolition of Busch, I wipe away tears of joy from happy memories and tears of sadness as I am reminded how much I miss my grandfather. Busch Stadium was a very special place for us.

After 40 seasons, the lights have gone out at the current Busch Stadium for the last time. Shortly before 3 o’clock today, the process of removing the Stadium from it’s 30 year home will begin. The stadium opened May 12, 1966, and the Cardinals beat the Atlanta Braves. The Cardinals played six World Series in the stadium, winning two (1967 and 1982). They were 1,760-1,409 in the regular season and 35-18 in the postseason.


I suppose that we will always have flashes in our minds of longtime broadcaster Jack Buck, and players such as Ozzie Smith, Bob Gibson, and Mark McGuire. True fans will always remember the words “Get up, baby! Get up!” and the famous back flip that Ozzie always did on opening day. Of course we all remember when Mark hit #62 to break the home-run record, and we were all amazed when he wound up with a whopping 70 homeruns in one season. We saw great plays, true sportsmanship, and the best fans on the face of the planet! We saw the Sea of Red turn into a Cardinal Nation, and were excited as we watched records get broken by some of the classiest baseball players in Major League Baseball.

Memories were made at Busch Stadium. I remember my first game with grandpa. I remember my first game with my husband. I remember the first game that I took my daughter to. I remember the anticipation of going downtown, the rush that I felt with every homerun, the noise of the crowd, the price of a diet coke, and the time spent going down the ramp to get out of the parking garage! I remember great times with family and friends, singing “Take Me Out to the Ball Game” and the moments of silence we all shared at the stadium after 9-11. I remember the cap dance, some of the craziest calls by men in blue uniforms that I have ever seen, and the rivalry with the Cubs. I remember…

Busch Stadium as I remember it is gone, but I am looking forward to the new stadium and the new memories that will be created there. I can only imagine that some things will stay the same: the cost of a diet coke, the best fans in the world, and the classiest players in the League just to name a few. I’ll miss the Old Busch but am thankful for the New Busch.

Thanks for the memories…they are priceless.

1 comment:

Guatorean Daddy said...

My first experience with the Cards was the 7th game of the 1982 World Series. Exciting! It wasn't until we moved to St Louis last year when I started to be a Card's fan again.

Benny's outfit off the plane from Guatemala was a Pujols uniform.
I'm hoping he will be on their roster in 20 or so years, so some little baby will have "Cope" on his outfit getting off the plane from Guatemala.

By the way-it is great seeing you up and at 'em since the surgery.