Sunday, November 13, 2005

God's Angels

Tonight I was with a group of friends, and during a discussion of Hagar and Ishmael (Genesis 21), I was reminded that God always hears our cries. Just as He heard Ishmael crying as he lay dying under a bush, He hears our heartache and pain as well. It is a pretty awesome thing to know that the God we serve is not just all-powerful, but He freely pours out amazing love as well. He never leaves us alone, and always provides a way out for us.

I was also reminded in the conversation that God provides us with what we need, but sometimes we need to remember to open our eyes. In the same way that He opened Hagar's eyes to see the well of water, He opens our eyes to His will and the people He sends into our lives. Sometimes I wonder if these people are truly God's angels. I don't know if they are angels or not, but I know that they are doing God's work. I know that God has sent people into my life that have helped me to mature, think for myself, forgive, sacrifice, and grow. He has blessed me with people who have shown me what true acceptance looks like and who have taught me the importance of accepting others. He has given me people who remind me how important it is to pray continually, search the Scriptures regularly, and finally define the words grace, mercy, and hope.

Furthermore, I was reminded today that Scripture teaches that we are to look at older Christians as our fathers and mothers, and we are supposed to look at younger Christians as our brothers and sisters. I just want to say thanks to the older men and women who are such an awesome example to me. I am thankful for your example, and for your willingness to do God's work. There are many who make an impact on my journey of faith, but I am particularly thankful for Gin, Brad, Sue, Mike, Deanie, Willie and Judy. You are amazing people and great teachers. I am also thankful for the brothers and sisters who also encourage me so much. I am grateful for my church family, and I am especially grateful for Robin and Jodi. Thanks for your sacrifice. It is my prayer that I will be able to touch people's lives in a similar way to the way that these "mothers and fathers" and "sisters" have touched mine.

So, I guess my point is this: God hears us- all of the time and He sends us amazing people to help us along the journey. All we have to do is open our eyes.

No comments: