Thursday, November 03, 2005

NO MORE NECK SURGERY FOR ME!


It all started with a broken neck in 1986. I had a spinal fusion at that time which helped to stabilize me, and I was able to beat the odds partially because of that stabilization. I believe that I was able to overcome because of the grace and healing of our Lord, but the neck surgeons helped me a long! Much to the doctor’s surprise, I learned to walk again and take care of myself on my own once again. Time passed. To be exact, 18 years passed, and my fusion from 1986 started falling apart. My once forgotten spinal cord symptoms of muscle spasticity and sensation loss returned. I was referred by my primary care physician to the Rehabilitation Institute at Barnes. The doctors at the Institute sent me for a MRI, and I was immediately referred to one of the best cervical spine surgeons in the country, Dr. Riew. It was determined that I would require surgery to fix the problems. So, on January 24, 2005, I had another spinal fusion. Things were rough, as I developed an infection, and it was a long road to recovery. Several months into my recovery another MRI showed that I required yet another surgery. To say that my family and I were disappointed would be a huge understatement. But, we trusted Dr. Riew, and the surgery was scheduled for October 5, 2005. We were told to expect another lengthy recovery period. In fact, we were told that it could be as long as 16 weeks. We put our faith in God, and prayed for a rapid recovery that would shock the doctors. As scheduled, I had my operation on the morning of October 5th. The first 5 days afterward were truly awful, and the pain was unbearable. Once again, my family and friends looked to God for healing and comfort. I’ll be honest; I looked to my morphine pump for comfort! After day 5, I rapidly improved. In fact, I was required to see the doctor for a small follow-up procedure on day 7, and when I returned to Barnes, the doctors and nurses were shocked at my improvement. In fact, the surgeon said that he was “stunned” at how well I was doing! God answered our prayer. Glory to His name! I thought I would share a picture with you of what my x-rays look like. Please note that this x-ray isn’t really me, but it is very similar to mine. The person in the above picture has 10 screws, 2 plates, and 2 rods. As best I can tell, he is fused from C3– T1 with the exception of C5-C6. I have 14 screws, 2 rods, 2 plates, and am solidly fused from C2-T1. This picture gives a pretty good idea of what the inside of my neck looks like– OUCH! Dr. Riew has assured me that I am COMPLETLEY fixed this time. I will never be completely pain free, but I am completely stable at this point! Praise God– NO MORE NECK SURGERY FOR ME! To God be the glory!

1 comment:

Bradford L. Stevens said...

We rejoice in the answered prayers on your behalf and give thanks to the one who made us all. I am so glad we have a chance to have our bodies "transformed" someday into something that will be far superior to what we each now experience. Glad to see you are entering the blogging world! It is your chance to be a point of light in a dark world.

God bless,