Friday, February 24, 2006

Negativity in the United States


Is it just our culture? Is it just the way we are? What is wrong with us?

Last night, Sasha Cohen won the silver medal in the Olympic games for figure skating. This morning, I turned on the news, and my computer only to hear how she succumbed to the pressure, allowing her immaturity to “ruin her Olympic dreams.” WHAT? Yeah, she fell…twice, so what? She is still the second best figure skater in the world! Get a grip people! Applaud what she accomplished; she earned a SILVER MEDAL for crying out loud! Why minimize the amazing feat that she has accomplished?

I also talked with a friend yesterday who grounded her daughter for 2 weeks because she scored a 91 (which in Ladue is an “A” by the way) on a history exam. WHAT? Now, I’ll admit, maybe there are some variables that I don’t know about, but give me a break! She got an “A.” She always gets an “A.” She has never gotten anything less than an “A.” What is the issue? No, she did not receive a perfect score, but she did her best, and she scored well. I have to wonder what will happen to this child if she ever brings home a “B.” (Oh the terror of it all!) Why point out that she missed 9 percentage points when there are 91 other reasons to applaud and encourage her?

Once again, I will share with you that I am guilty. I have a hard time seeing the positive sometimes. I am going to make an effort to focus more on the positive things happening around me rather than the negative. I would venture to say that at one time or another, we have all heard the phrase, “If you don’t have something nice to say, don’t say anything at all.” I am thankful for that reminder as I hear those words from my grandmother ring through my head. I’d like to encourage all of you to remember this basic concept as well.

I think Philippians 4:8 may have something to say about this subject too!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't have thought that WINNING the silver medal meant anything bad. Heck, not winning a medal is nothing to be ashamed of at all. To be a good enough athlete to go to the Olympics is an amazing feat in and of itself. All of our Olympians should be proud of their accomplishments, whether the "won" a medal or not.

We should all be proud of ourselves for all of our own accomplishments, no matter how large or small they may be. As for being grounded for making a 91, I can't even express my shock. We don't get on our son about his grades as long as he makes A's and B's, and we only get upset with grades when the issue is homework not being done or not studying.