Thursday, February 23, 2006

I Need to Do Better


In recent weeks, I have had the opportunity to work with some people at our church that I hadn’t had much experience with before. It was good to be with these friends who want nothing more than to serve the Lord, and give Him all glory and honor.

With that being said, I feel moved to share something with you. I sometimes take people for granted. I try really hard not to do it, but sometimes I fail. I am guilty. You know the old saying, “You don’t know what ya got until it is gone?” I can’t help but think that there is some amazing truth to that statement. I want to learn to better appreciate people before they are gone.

In my daily life, I see people who go WAY beyond what is necessary to help meet the needs of others. From time to time, I look around and I see the sacrifices that people make for the good of their families, the church, and the community and I am totally impressed with their contributions. I am also reminded regularly that it is the same people who meet so many needs over and over and over again. I am so thankful for these people.

As I watch the service that this specific group offers, I also have concerns about how we collectively seem to view and treat them. I have noticed an increasing amount of statements and attitudes like, “Don’t worry about it, Joe will do it” and “That’s not my job; give it to Mary.” I have also noticed a HUGE rise in the amount of negative comments made about the people who are giving their best, and doing great things for the glory of God.

While these folks are not seeking their own glory and honor, they do like to be appreciated for what they do. We never seem to be willing to applaud, thank, or even recognize the effort and passions of those who serve, but we are always willing to say something condescending, belittling or just flat out rude. For example, we are willing to make a HUGE issue out of a misspelling of a name, but we make no effort to spell their name correctly. We are willing to question why 1% has not been completed, but never recognize the 99% that was done effectively and efficiently. We always want bigger, better, and more from anyone that we can get to give us more. Additionally, it seems that we not only want more, but we expect more, and when we don’t get it we get mad, hurt, or upset.

I recently read a blog about burnout in the church. I think that taking people for granted, not showing appreciation, and doing nothing more than gripe, would be enough to burn anyone out. I am making the promise today to pray for hard working people who give so much and so willingly. I also promise to make a conscious effort to say, “Thank you” and “I appreciate you” to more people, more often.

4 comments:

Becky said...

Here! Here! Thank you so much to everyone who does SO MUCH and never get recognized. So much that I don't even know who you all are... my, you're sneaky! :) And thanks to you Conni, because I know you do a lot of "behind the scenes" stuff as well. You're all wonderful, and you know that God is always watching! Your stars on your crown are multiplying!

Conni H. said...

Thanks Becky- but I didn't write this because I need to be thanked by my blog readers. I wrote it because I need some of you to help me do better and help me be accountable! I don't say THANK YOU enough, but I am hoping to do better soon!

Anonymous said...

It seems people in our society as a whole expect things to be done right. There is nothing wrong with this expectation, but since this is how we feel it "should" be, we don't feel the need to thank those who are "only doing what they are supposed to be doing anyway." Of course, if they fail to live up to "expectations" people jump all over them and give them a hard time.

I think most of us try hard to do our best on a regular basis. We don't go to work thinking "let me see how much I can screw up today." I think we need to remember how nice it is to have someone smile at us and say "thank you," even if we aren't really doing anything "special."

There is an old song (from the early 80's) by the country group Alabama called "40 Hour Week" that basically is a thank you to the average American worker for doing our everyday jobs. Maybe we should just remember to thank the girl at McDonalds or the cashier at the grocery store, etc.

Anonymous said...

To add one to Anoymous - thanking the cashier comes natural but I always make it a point to thank the kid that bags my groceries or the kid in the restaurant whose job it is to just fill water glasses and take away my dirty dishes (not necessarily always kids) - they already have a thankless job. And also, thank you Conni for taking over my job so I could just be a grandma. I know there are some good hearts that let you know how much you are appreciated but not enough to counter the attacks by those who don't understand what it takes to keep that office running and trying to keep EVERYBODY happy - so thanks for all you do.