Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Why Choose Legalism?

I was part of a very interesting conversation this morning. The conversation was about legalism in the church, and why some people cling so tightly to churches that are so rigid and legalistic. One person suggested that it was fear. He wondered if it was the “better safe than sorry” mentality that somehow made people feel better. Another person suggested that it was self-righteousness and selfishness that encouraged people to stay with the legalistic churches. He suggested that many people take the “my way or the highway” approach, and therefore it is easier to associate themselves with a church that does the thinking for you instead of one that encourages you to think for yourself.

One of my goals as of late has been to listen more and talk less, and this morning that is what I did. It was good to listen to varying opinions and just soak in what was being said. After a little time to think about all of it, I think I’d like to throw in another possible reason why people want to hold on to legalism, (actually it is 2 reasons): Ignorance and immature faith.

I think that a lot of people still believe that they can do something to earn their way into Heaven. Eternal life with the Father is a gift that we receive when we accept Jesus Christ. It is by grace through faith that we are saved… not by our own works. (Those aren’t my words; that is straight scripture.) A lot of people think that we still need to keep the letter of the Law and don’t recognize that Jesus was the ultimate sacrifice for us, and we are covered by His blood, His mercy, and His grace. I think that if people understood that, and stopped trying to do everything perfectly, they would be happier, and live more fully as Christians. That doesn’t mean we can do whatever we want without regard for right and wrong, it just means that we are covered by God’s grace when we screw up!

Of course that takes a great deal of faith to believe, and that doesn’t come easy for some. I would venture to say that it doesn’t come easy for most. Faith is something that builds over time. Faith is built by experiencing God’s hand in our lives. It comes by recognizing Him, His work, His passion, His grace, and His way. It is such a huge struggle sometimes because we want to see God like we are able to see the mailman, our preacher, or a friend. We can’t see God physically, but we can see Him in everything that we do. Seeing God is believing and believing is faith. When we have faith, we believe that we are covered by His mercy and grace.

I can’t imagine why anyone would want to hold onto rigidity and legalism, but if that is the walk that they choose, I wish them well, and pray that their journey will bring them closer and closer to the Father. As for me, I walked the rigid line once before, and am thankful that I have chosen a different path. I am thankful for those who helped me overcome fear, self-righteousness, ignorance and lack of faith. Now, please don’t get me wrong… I have by no means arrived, and I still struggle with these things, and I struggle with them often. I just know that for me, legalism is not the answer, because I can never reach perfection…no matter how hard I try.

Whatever your walk, whatever church you choose, whether you choose conservative or liberal, legalistic or not, I pray that you have a blessed day and that you enjoy your journey with the Father!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great blog Conni!

I am on my way to get one of the kids from school, and will try to post some thoughts in a while (before trick or treating if I can). Let me say in brief (yeah, shocking for me) that I think in many ways you are dead on with your analysis of treasons people hold to legalism. I am thankful that your journey has lead you down another road, and for all the things you are learning there!

Thinking good thoughts for ya!

Bradford L. Stevens said...

I picture the older brother standing in the field hearing the music, dancing and celebration of his prodigal brother's return. His resentment boils within him that his father would kill the fatted calf and throw a party for all to celebrate his profligate brother's return. This was simply beyond his comprehension. His reaction is one of resentment, withdrawal and anger. When I find myself in such a condemnation mode, I think about that older brother and I don't want to go there. The father goes into the field and pleads with him to join the party. The older brother's problem is that he did not love his brother. It is hard to celebrate another's success and good fortune when one resents the other person. If you reduce the older brother's attitude down to his lowest common denominator, what he is left with is selfishness. Or, what some might call "original sin". His question for his father is "What about me?" In the end it is not about "me" but it is all about living in relationship with God in the here and now. Great discussion Conni!

Anonymous said...

Conni,

Interesting blog. I too agree with your comments on legalism in the Church. Its all in the definition of what you call legalism though.

What I would caution is mistaking sincere obedience for legalism and branding congregations or people with that sin. Many in the church that some would view as legalistic are just trying to live obedient lives in a world that seems to be heading downhill morally and they also see it creeping into the church unfortuneately.

I know of very few Churches of Christ that do not hold to an appreciation of Gods grace and the power of it. These same churches also do not believe you can earn or merit your way to heaven (which has been wrongly slandered against them). They do however believe in a fall from grace, which is scriptural. (Heb. 3,1Cor. 8:11, Much of the book of Galations and many others).

By Grace we are saved(Eph 2:8). There is nothing we can do to earn our salvation. But we can lose it if we are not faithful. Grace is beautiful but it can be cheapened and perverted by the way we conduct ourselves as Christians.

In contrast to your viewpoint, some of the most mature, loving, and faithful christians that I know are members of these frequently branded legalistic congregrations.

I think we need to continue to try and keep the letter of the law(as you put it), but realize we will all come up short and God's grace covers us. Striving to be like Christ is the daily walk. That includes many things like love,prayer, virtuous living,our actions, and yes(even being obedient)

Conni H. said...

Just for clarification's sake, I am not suggesting that there is no need for obidence. Clearly we are called to be obidient. My point is that it seems that there is still a belief out there that if we can somehow follow all of the rules, then we can earn our way into Heaven. We have to remember that we need God's grace- without it there is NO hope.

I suppose I have such strong feelings about this for a lot of reasons, but I'd like to share just one with you.

I atteneded Freed-Hardeman University (a small Church of Christ school), and after graduation worked at the University and lived in the area for a total of 10 years. Not ONE TIME did I hear a sermon on grace, or mercy, or forgiveness. NOT ONCE.

If I sounded judgemental in my post, please forgive me.