Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Unity in the Church

.
I am not surprised by one of the front page articles in the most recent issue of the Christian Chronicle, but it disturbing none-the-less. It seems that Freed-Hardeman University recently held a “Contemporary Discussion” on unity on campus on October 14. Anyone who knows very much about FHU can see clearly see the absurdity of such an event on the small, very conservative, Tennessee University.

I am a graduate of FHU and although I believe that I received a quality academic education, I must share with you that I left there questioning every aspect of Christianity. You see, there was NOTHING at FHU that promoted unity with anyone outside the “brotherhood.” If you were not a member of a conservative church that embraced the title “non-denominational church of Christ” you clearly had no chance of spending eternity in Heaven. It was imperative that one was disgusted with the idea of instrumental music, or women taking any kind of leadership role. If one was going to be a “true” Christian, he must not believe in Christmas or Easter (at least as religious holidays), and perhaps most importantly, one must agree that if the preacher (or FHU Bible professor) said it…it was true.

When I first read the headline on the front page today, I had a brief moment of hope for FHU and “the brotherhood.” I thought that maybe, just maybe, changes were being made, and unity may be possible. No such luck. The article was disturbing to me…FHU appears to still believe that they are the only ones going to Heaven, and the rest of us will spend eternity among flames because we are okay with instrumental music in the church, or we sing with Casting Crowns, Nicole Mullens, or Tree 63 in our cars.

I was happy that one FHU student said that the seminar made them think…it means that not all of the brainwashing is working.

I know I sound bitter, and to be honest, I am. I find it contradictory that a university that preaches unity is so good at belittling, shaming, and judging people who aren’t just like them. It makes me sick. I also find it interesting that almost all of my friends from college have left the “brotherhood” and site legalism, lack of tolerance, and extreme judgments as their reasons for choosing a “CHRISTIAN CHURCH” (most of which have instruments……GASP.)

I am praying for true unity in Christ, and pray that you will do the same.

3 comments:

Thomas J. said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Well,

FHU DOES want Unity. . .That whole branch of the c of C does. . .

Of course, HITLER wanted Unity too.

For many people Unity means "we all get along, in spite of our differences."

For many others, unity means that "We all get along because disagreement is not permitted."

I agree with you. .TRUE unity. . .fellowship in spite of differences. . .is what we need.

Unity in diversity.

Bradford L. Stevens said...

Unity will only be achieved when everyone accepts the Lordship of Jesus Christ. Wherever the Lord has a child, we have a brother or sister. Only God gets to judge.