Tuesday, September 19, 2006

A Point to Consider?

.
This was a comment from someone on a recently posted on this blog.
Does the commenter have a point worth considering?

"I find it interesting that no one responded to the previous post on Conni's blog. Isn't it amazing that people instantly "recognize" an image of Jesus, but were deafeningly silent on the blog post where Conni asks Christians what it means to "Think of yourselves the way Christ Jesus thought of Himself." I wonder why the Dichotomy? Why are we, as
people, so easily attached to an "Image" but unable to understand personality and character? So, we DON'T know what Jesus looked like (he may have been George Harrison's twin)
but we DO know how he acted."

I know that we (as friends and family members) speak openly to each other about living Christian lives, but why don't we share openly in a more public forum? Granted, a blog maynot be the most comfortable place to share answers to questions like I asked, but think of the audience that the world wide wide web offers. What if our shared Christian experiences touched even ONE person in a way that helped them see God, and ultimately helped them to choose Him.

For anyone who regularly reads my blog, you already know that 3q has no problem stirring things up. Sometimes s/he does it just to get us going, and sometimes s/he has valid things to say... I think this time something has been said that is worth thinking about.

I am as guilty as the next person. I asked the question, but I didn't answer.
Look for my answer soon.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

3Q is hard to take seriously at all. He or she has attacked Christianity one too many times for my taste. Questioning is one thing, but 3Q doesn't strike me as someone searching for the truth, but is someone searching for a fight. Even if they had a good point, no one would hear it because of all the garbage they have shared in the past.

Connie, you asked a good question, but I think you are right when you say that this is not the most comfortable place to have a discussion like this. Maybe God doesn't want us to be comfortable all of the time?

Anonymous said...

I am not 3q, but I will defend him/her. S/he isn't always looking for a fight, s/he has a lot of valid things to say that only one insecure in their beliefs would classify as "looking for a fight." If you are solid in your convictions, you will find no problems in fielding "difficult" questions.

Maybe a blog isn't the "best" place to talk about God, yet Jesus talked amongst the lepers, the adulterers, the outcasts. I can assure you God doesn't want you to be "comfortable" all the time, that is why you should jump at the opportunities where you are most "uncomfortable." That's what Jesus did.

Anonymous said...

Interesting. . .

I always find it curious when my points are attacked when they are VALID points. it is curious to me when people divide the line between being right and being wrong in solid black and white terms.

As far as THIS statement:

"3Q is hard to take seriously at all. He or she has attacked Christianity one too many times for my taste. Questioning is one thing, but 3Q doesn't strike me as someone searching for the truth, but is someone searching for a fight."

I would like for someone to outline for me where I have attacked Christianity? Yes, questioning is one thing, and I often ask hard questions, especially when it appears that people are not living or speaking consistently with what they profess to believe.

In regards to "searching for the truth"? Well, pointing out inconsistency is not really a disdain for the truth, now is it? It seems to me that to address things which appear to inconsistent, to ask questions to encourage people to evaluate their faith, and to promote self honesty are all things which would indicate that someone IS searching for the truth.

I am wondering why these things would be threatening to you (anonymous poster #1), rather than encouraging?

Anonymous said...

i love jesus...

Anonymous said...

That is so awesome Jennifer. . and even more awesome is the impact that has been made in your life because of that Love!!!