Wednesday, September 06, 2006

I Don't Get It

.
As some of you know, I have been reading the Daily Bible. I am finally caught up again. I have to admit, that I just don't get some of it. I consider myself to be relatively smart, but some of it I just can't figure out. Don't get me wrong. It isn't the content that I find difficult to understand; it is the reasoning behind what I am reading.

For example, today's reading came out out of the book of Ezekial 44-48. Why did God choose to share this with us? Why do priest's garments matter to us? Why do we need to know the exact dimemensions of the city gates? Why does God choose to share such specific details about the division of land and the specifics of tribes?

What am I supposed to be gaining from this reading? If I am supposed to becoming more and more thankful for Jesus and the grace that I am covered by when I can't adhere to the Law; it is working!

Does anyone have any thoughts about why God gives us SO MANY details?

2 comments:

Bradford L. Stevens said...

"1 In many and various ways God spoke of old to our fathers by the prophets; 2 but in these last days he has spoken to us by a Son, whom he appointed the heir of all things, through whom also he created the world."

Your post made me think of the above opening to the book of Hebrews. In the past God communicated in various ways. There are some folks who needed a detailed description of what to do. God gave it to them. The filter we read the Bible through now is Jesus. I am just glad God does not speak to us like he did to Jonah! I have a feeling many of us would be in the belly of the large fish!

Anonymous said...

Of course, it could all have to do with the need for a secular king to attempt to lend go-ordained legitimacy to his regime.

A good read is "The Bible Unearthed" by Israel Finkelstien.

A previous poster referred to "The Filter we read the bible through". . that is true, Christians read the bible with a Christian Filter, the jews through a jewish filter, etc.

How does one approach these and other passages with NO filter? If one does not already approach the bible wqith preconceptions and expectations, what does one find? How does one discover the "truth" of the bible?