Sunday, September 03, 2006

Miss Gin

.
From the front of the church auditorium, I grabbed my microphone and began to sing. The service was pretty much like any other worship service: prayers, songs, communion, sharing of the Word, and fellowship. I felt the sudden onset of tears. My throat closed up a bit, and I had a hard time choking out the words. I missed her being there. I missed the hug that I always managed to get before services and the smile that would brighten anyone’s day.

For only a moment, I glanced back to the church pew where she always sat. I knew that she wouldn’t be there, but I was hoping against all hope. I really wanted her to be there. I looked back and she wasn’t there, just as I knew she wouldn’t be, but my tears dried up, and I felt a sense of joy.

I smiled as I realized that Miss Gin’s pew was filled with her family. Where my 92 year-old friend once sat, now was filled with her daughters, sons in law, grandchildren, great-grandchildren, and other family members. Miss Gin could be seen in their faces, attitudes and actions. My tears were gone, because Miss Gin wasn’t there in the flesh, but she was exemplified by the family that she loved so much.

I was honored to spend a good part of today with Miss Gin’s family. As the day went on, it became more and more evident how much impact that she had in each of their lives. Miss Gin taught her family how to live, love, serve, respect each other, and reach out to others. She taught them so much about God, mercy, and the saving grace of Jesus, and she taught them to share the love of Christ with everyone around them. Miss Gin wasn’t with us today in the flesh, but her legacy was all around, and her presence through her family couldn’t be missed by anyone who knew and loved her. Miss Gin was there.

A long time ago, I blogged about Miss Gin. To be exact, it was January 1, 2006. I am so thankful that she had the opportunity to read my tribute to her before she passed from this life. Unfortunately, she can’t read this blog today, but I know that she knew that I loved her very much and that I was thankful for the influence she had on her family and on those around her.

It is true that we won’t see Miss Gin in the 6th or 7th pew at church ever again. But if you look at her family, you will see her smile, feel her touch, and be reminded of who she was, and everything she stood for.

I love her very much, and I look forward to seeing her again someday.

(Picture "borrowed" from Miranda' blog! Thanks, Miranda- I hope you don't mind!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Conni--thanks so much for your special tribute to my mom! She was loved by everyone who knew her and that fact was evident by the number of family and friends who came to her memorial service on a holiday weekend!! We will miss her deeply, but the thought of heaven is even sweeter now!