Thursday, March 23, 2006

Christian Portrayal on “Unanimous”


Last night I had just finished watching American Idol, and I left the TV on for noise. I turned my attention away from the TV and started working on things that needed to be done. Well, much to my surprise, within minutes of when I turned away, I was sucked back into FOX’s programming. A new show was about to air, and the show is called “Unanimous.” The basic premise of the show is this:

Nine people are locked in a secret underground location.
They have no contact with the outside world.
Their task is to UNANIMOUSLY decide who among the group gets the grand prize of 1.5 million dollars.
With every second that passes the prize decreases.

As you can imagine, the biggest part of this new show was getting to know the players. I was immediately struck by one of the players in particular. This 49 year old woman claims to be a minister of the Gospel. She immediately starts handing out judgments about what the Bible says, and what God demands, and who is going to Hell and who isn’t. I was appalled! I couldn’t believe this woman’s statements. Not only was she harsh and rude, she was misrepresenting Scripture (in my opinion).

To be honest, I was angered by her actions and statements. I was angered because she had the perfect opportunity to show MILLIONS of people what Christianity looks like, and she blew it! She had a chance that most of us will never have to show the world the love, mercy, and grace of Jesus Christ, and all she could do was judge!

Most of us will never be on TV to model Christianity. What can we do in our own little communities to portray the love of Christ? What can we do to stop the media from highlighting the extremist, judgmental, over the top religious fanatics? What can we do to pull people toward Jesus instead of pushing them away from Him?


2 comments:

michelle said...

why is it that Christians always make other Christians look bad? I did not see the show so I really can not comment on how she acted or what she said. You are right though, that would have been the only bible that some person may have read, and it could have been millions.

Anonymous said...

Connie, you cover some great issues on your blog. Thanks for making me think and for encouraging me. Keep writing.