Thursday, December 08, 2005

Wal-Mart or Target?

In my opinion, this is a no brainer. I am a Target girl. I think the workers are friendlier, the stores are MUCH cleaner and organized, and the prices in many cases are better. To be honest I avoid Wal-Mart at all cost because I usually leave there frustrated by the poor attitude which workers so joyously try to share with me. There are not enough happy little yellow smiley face stickers in the world to cover up poor service.

In recent days, my opinions of Wal-Mart have declined even further due to a television commercial. The commercial encourages Christmas shoppers to avoid Wal-Mart because apparently they continue to break child labor laws, are discriminatory towards women, and refuse to provide health care for over 600,000 employees and their families. The advertisement against the multi-billion dollar company succeeds at getting the viewer to think twice before walking into a Wal-Mart store.

So, how about you? Do you prefer Wal-Mart or Target? Will the release of the information about child labor laws, discrimination, and refusal of health care change your decision to give your money to Wal-Mart?

OH NO! Does this mean that I shouldn’t give my money to SAM’S since they are owned and operated by the same people? (This could be a problem.)

5 comments:

hannah said...

I'm all for Target!! I enter and leave that store smiling! (I used to call it The-$40-Store, but now thats I have SuperTarget, its The-$80-Store!) Sometimes do Walmart to save a buck, but I rush in & get out quick. I'm doing some Christmas shopping at Target tonight actually. Probably with a Pumpkin Latte in hand since Starbucks is right in the store. Joy!

Jason Harbison said...

I am a Target guy! They have a better toy selection and I have to agree with my lovely wife, the employees are much friendlier, and much willing to help you find that special gift. They also have a huge iPod section : ) It saddeneds me that Wal-mart is breaking so many laws and treats their employees like they do...it is no wonder their employees are grumpy.

Anonymous said...

Conni,
Have you read the news about Target and the Salvation Army?
Check out this-
http://www.cbn.com/CBNNews/CWN/111904target.asp

Does this mean we shouldn't shop at Target or Wal-Mart?

Anonymous said...

I am a Target person as well. I love going to Target. As for Sam's Club, I like Costco much better so that isn't an issue either.

kw,rn

Conni H. said...

Anonymous- thanks for the info and the site address. I read the article. Here is what I think. There is a HUGE difference between what Target is doing and what Wal-mart is doing. I agree that stopping the bell ringers at Target is a shame. But it is not illegal. Breaking child labor law and discrimination are. Also, folks that are really concerned about the bell ringers and the financial well being of the Salvation Army still have the ability to pull out their checkbooks and send in a check. The Salvation Army doesn't hide it's address.