Tuesday, December 20, 2005

HAPPY CHRISTMAHANAWANZADON!

Yes, I know that it is weird…but it is really fun to say: Happy Christmahanawanzadon. This is a universal holiday greeting at our daughter’s middle school, and encompasses good wishes for Christmas, Hanukah, Kwanzaa and Ramadan. Yes, I am being serious. I didn’t believe it at first either. But it is true.

I think that more than any other time of year, the “holiday season” reminds us that there are a lot of different beliefs out there. I am not here to judge. If you choose to celebrate Hanukah, that is great for you! If you celebrate Kwanzaa, I hope that you enjoy it. If you choose to fast for a month and celebrate Ramadan, then it is my prayer that you will find peace and joy in that. If you choose to celebrate the coming of Jesus Christ, I pray that you will be blessed and that you glorify God in all that you do in the name of Christmas.

I think that it is SO important to respect the beliefs of others. Faith, and the celebration of faith is a very personal thing. It is a choice. We may not agree with one’s choice, and there certainly isn’t anything wrong with sharing why we don’t agree, but when the rubber meets the road, we all need to be respectful of others. Mmmm…in an effort to be respectful, I wonder if I could add Diwali to Chrismahanawanzadon?

As for me and the rest of the Harbison House…. we will say Merry Christmas! (Even though Happy Chrismahanawanzadon is much more fun to say!)


No comments: