Monday, December 26, 2005

The Producers

Bekah and I both love theatre, and we especially love musicals. When we heard that THE PRODUCERS was making its debut on the big screen, we knew that we had to see it. Today, she and I ventured out, and saw the movie. The Broadway production of "The Producers," won a record setting 12 Tony Awards. That is INCREDIBLE. The movie version is based on the same book and lyrics, has many of the same cast members, and is directed by the same director. Since the Broadway play had won so many awards, we expected great things. Well, the movie didn’t deliver great things. In fact, the movie didn’t even deliver mediocre things. In addition to second-rate acting, singing and dancing, there were a lot of controversial remarks about sexuality, heritage, and race. It was really quite bad.

Within minutes of the beginning of the show, folks started leaving the theatre. By the end of the show, I would say approximately one-third of the audience had made an early departure. Bekah yawned through the majority of the show, and I kept checking my cell-phone for the proper time. (How much longer could this possibly go on?) To be honest, we would have left (even though wasting the price of the ticket would have bothered me), but Daddy was next door seeing King Kong (which apparently was amazingly good).

So, Bekah and I give "The Producers" 4 thumbs down, and if we had more to turn down, we would. Don’t waste your money on this one- you’ll be disappointed!

3 comments:

Jason Harbison said...

However I would recommend "Kong" it was great! Yes it was about 3 hours or so, but it defintely did not feel like it. The special effects were great! I almost cried at the end..but I won't give it away : )

Jason Harbison said...

PS I give it 5 BIG MONKEY STARS

hannah said...

Thanks for saving me money too! I'll wait around for the real broadway show to come in town.. I've never been in a theatre where people get up & leave! Guess boring and bad will do it..