Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Forgiveness

Since the beginning of time, bad things have happened. At the very moment that Adam and Eve gave into temptation in the Garden, and went directly against what God had commanded, we were all sentenced to live in a fallen world. Sin is everywhere and we are all guilty. The good news for Christians is that Christ paid the ultimate price for our sin, and endured God’s wrath to its fullest extent so we wouldn’t have to. Jesus died for us, and because of His sacrifice we have the forgiveness, mercy and grace of our Father. Praise God!

In spite of our personal gift of unmerited favor, our society teaches, “An eye for an eye.” Even though forgiveness and mercy are given to us so freely, we tend to focus on revenge, anger and even hate. Why? I’ll admit that it is much easier to be angry than it is to find forgiveness within our selves. After all, someone has hurt me; I have a right to hold a grudge. Is that the attitude that we want others to have toward us when we sin against them? Is that the attitude that we want God to have when we sin against Him? We must learn to forgive because it is what God expects of us, and because it is what is best for us personally.

When we refuse to forgive someone, we choose to harbor anger and hate in our hearts. There is no way that this can be good for us. When we reject the idea of forgiving someone (even if they haven’t sought our forgiveness), we are causing ourselves harm. We never learn to let go of the incident that requires forgiveness, and it starts assimilating itself into our daily lives and other relationships. Before we realize it, the old incident rears it’s ugly head, and we start focusing on what happened long ago, instead of what is happening now. It becomes a cancer that starts to eat away at us. If we know that making the choice not to forgive will hurt us, why would we choose that path? Are we not making the choice to re-injure our selves by allowing a past event to have control over us now?

Forgiveness is powerful, and it is very hard to do because it seems to go against our human nature. It is frightening because it opens the door to disturbing feelings that require agonizing soul-searching. Forgiveness is a choice that cannot be forced. But by clinging to the past, we scarcely exist in the present.

I am not saying that we should relinquish our desire for justice; justice will ultimately be served. I am saying that we need to consciously decide in our hearts to release ourselves from our disturbing emotional attachments that we have with those who have caused us harm. If we choose not to do that, we choose to continue to inflict upon ourselves (and upon others) the pain that we experienced in the first place.

When we learn to forgive for ourselves, we unleash the power of forgiveness, which frees us from the venomous influence of anger and hatred, and that, in turn, increases our capacity to love others. It takes no extra strength to forgive, only courage. The energy that we use to hold onto resentment is the same amount of energy it takes to release it.

Forgiveness is not something we do for other people-we do it for ourselves to get well and move on!


3 comments:

Klint Pleasant said...

Conni:
Thanks again for the comment on my blog. This is the reason I'm usuallly "guarded." It is easily misunderstood especially when it's not a personal discussion with someone you know well. I certainly did not mean to give the impression that only "certain" things are worthy of prayer. I "certainly" do not think that! And I should have clarified "laundry list" and "top ten." All I meant was that I think prayer is MORE than JUST presenting a list to Jesus. It is my opinion that prayer is deeper and more than that. I would argue (and agree) that God is constantly aware of what is on our hearts. Therefore, when Rachel was ill I was in constant prayer for her health as God is in tune with my heart and every desire. I'm just arguing that prayer is so much more (in my opinion). I appreciate your willingness to consider what I wrote and apologize if you read into some things that I don't feel were there. Always appreciate your comments!

Blessings,
Klint

hannah said...

Forgiveness brings sweet freedom! When I understand the full forgiveness God has granted me, then I'm more able to forgive others the same... as your blog nicely said!

Conni H. said...

Klint, there is NO need to apologize! Did I sound defensive? Maybe I am the one who needs to be sorry! :)

Okay, not that we are a couple of sorry people, I want to thank you again for your thought provoking ideas. Who would have thought that blogging would encourage spiritual growth? I am glad that I may have misunderstood a couple of your statements...but let me say this...I agree with a lot of what you said. Prayer is much more than a Top Ten List.... it is more about the relationship that we are developing with the Father than the "safe travel" that we pray for.

I enjoy your blog. It is nice to hear about Rachel and Abbey as well as your thoughts and ideas.

Keep blogging! (Since I am responding to your response on my blog, I will post my response here... but I will also post back on your blog to make sure that you get it!)