Saturday, November 18, 2006

New Car!

.
About a week ago, I blogged about our car. Yesterday we secured our financing and today we went car shopping. It wasn't nearly as fun as I remembered it being. In fact is was a HUGE drag! We were lied to- multiple times, had one car sold right from under us, had 2 prices inflated, after we had been promised a certain price, and on and on. Finally, we decided on a car, and while we weren't thrilled with it, it was okay, and it was a good, solid, family car.

As you know, we didn't even consider fixing our car. We just couldn't see putting that kind of money into an "older" car. A very wise friend and mentor told me that it didn't make a lot of sense to buy a new car, but I didn't listen. (Sorry M.R.) I argued and said, I don't want to put that much money in my car. He told me that it was a lot cheaper than a car payment. Arg! Why does he have to be right all...well most of the time?

Anyway, we went into the office to sign the papers, and God spoke to us. (NO- we are not hearing voices!) Something just wasn't right. My gut was screaming- DON'T DO THIS! Maybe it was yet another lie that we were told that came into light. Jason and I walked out of the dealership without a new car, and we've decided to get the old one fixed. It will be done on Monday night. Our decision saved us over $20,000.

Sometimes we fall into the "stuff" mode, and we get too materialistic. The car belongs to God, old or new... so why does it matter what we drive?

So, we learned a lesson today... well maybe a few lessons. First, don't trust car salesmen, no matter how honest they seem..., listen to friends who are older and wiser- they usually have something to share that is worth hearing... and finally, when you listen to your gut, you just might save over $20,000.

No comments: