Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Interesting Quote


If we were to wake up some morning and find that everyone was the same race, creed and color, we would find some other cause for prejudice by noon.
- George Aiken


I found this quote to be very interesting and thought provoking. Why is it that we are so intolerant of people who aren’t just like us? Is there room on this planet for multiple religions? Multiple races? Multiple attitudes and opinions? Can groups of people from different nationalities live together on the same land? Can the gifted be mixed with those who are not so gifted, and still live in peace and harmony?

My answer is, yes, there is plenty of room, and it is possible for us all to live together and get along. The problem is that we choose not to. We are prejudice. Even when there is nothing to be prejudice about, we find some reason. Maybe someday it will be hair color that separates us from the majority. Maybe it will be the kind of car that we drive. Maybe it will the kinds of flowers we plant in our garden that causes discrimination in the future. These things so trivial now, but I think race, gender, creed and color are trivial reasons to discriminate too.

Why are humans prejudice?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think we aren't comfortable with people who are like us. Different colors, religions, income, way of life, values, etc., all make us uncomfortable.

Should it be like this? No, of course not. Will it always be like this? Yes, unfortunately. Just as you had someone who didn't like your "view" on Holidays, others don't like people who are of a different socioeconomic class, or were raised in a different part of the world.

I have prejudices, just as we all do, I just make sure I am aware of them. I never want to treat people poorly, so I make sure I know who I am "prejudiced" against.

Do I like admitting I have prejudices? Not at all, but I would be lying if I said I didn't have them. Do I think we should ever be allowed to treat anyone badly? Never, and I actively work to make sure I do not.

Bradford L. Stevens said...

I thought of this passage when you asked your question:

James 4

1 What causes wars, and what causes fightings among you? Is it not your passions that are at war in your members? 2 You desire and do not have; so you kill. And you covet and cannot obtain; so you fight and wage war. You do not have, because you do not ask. 3 You ask and do not receive, because you ask wrongly, to spend it on your passions. 4 Unfaithful creatures! Do you not know that friendship with the world is enmity with God? Therefore whoever wishes to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God. 5 Or do you suppose it is in vain that the scripture says, "He yearns jealously over the spirit which he has made to dwell in us"? 6 But he gives more grace; therefore it says, "God opposes the proud, but gives grace to the humble." 7 Submit yourselves therefore to God.

As I see it, it is the human condition marred by sin that each of us is born into. The only escape is "Grace" which comes from submission to God. As my bible class teacher said years ago the problem of sIn is the "I" in the middle!