Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Blessing or Curse- The Way I See It

Yesterday I asked, “Is it a blessing to be born with characteristics which help us to grow from gentle little girls into strong, intelligent and independent women, or is it a curse?” Today, I’d like to give my answer.

It is a blessing to be born with characteristics which help us to grow into strong, intelligent and independent women. Without doubt, one of the things that I am most thankful for in life is that I was born strong, intelligent and independent. Wanna know why?

My childhood was less than ideal. I survived it because I was strong. Most of you know that the accident that I had when I was 16 was supposed to end with me in a pine box. I survived it because I was strong, and I learned t walk again because I was independent, and I didn’t want to lose that. I faced a lot of hardships with my family of origin, my health and in relationships for the first 25 plus years of my life. I survived by using my strength, intelligence and independence.

Now, before you think that I am tooting my own horn, please hear me out. It is by the grace of God that I was born strong, independent, and intelligent. Without these characteristics, I would have never seen my 10th birthday. God made me who I am on purpose. He knew who I would need to be to survive this world, and for that I am thankful.

I’ll admit that sometimes I tend to be like a bull in a china shop, because the old defense mechanisms kick in and I feel like I have to be “strong” even when the threat is low. It is during those times that I think that being strong is a curse. Those times are difficult to deal with, but when they are over, I remain thankful that God made me the way that He did. It is also during that time that I realize that it is my responsibility to learn to balance my strength, intelligence and independence with grace, compassion and mercy. That isn’t always easy…but I am learning.

So, the long and short of it is this…the way I see it…. It is a blessing to born with tendencies toward strength, independence and intelligence.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

All of us need that balance. I will pray for yours.