Saturday, April 29, 2006

Can't Sleep

I am not exactly sure why, but it is 3:10 in the morning and I can't sleep. Go figure, the one day of the week that I can actually sleep in, and I can't sleep past 3:00 a.m. Oh well. I woke up thinking about this passage out of the book of Matthew:

11"Whatever town or village you enter, search for some worthy person there and stay at his house until you leave. 12As you enter the home, give it your greeting. 13If the home is deserving, let your peace rest on it; if it is not, let your peace return to you. 14If anyone will not welcome you or listen to your words, shake the dust off your feet when you leave that home or town. 15I tell you the truth, it will be more bearable for Sodom and Gomorrah on the day of judgment than for that town.

16I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves. 17"Be on your guard against men; they will hand you over to the local councils and flog you in their synagogues. 18On my account you will be brought before governors and kings as witnesses to them and to the Gentiles. 19But when they arrest you, do not worry about what to say or how to say it. At that time you will be given what to say, 20for it will not be you speaking, but the Spirit of your Father speaking through you.

21"Brother will betray brother to death, and a father his child; children will rebel against their parents and have them put to death. 22All men will hate you because of me, but he who stands firm to the end will be saved. 23When you are persecuted in one place, flee to another. I tell you the truth, you will not finish going through the cities of Israel before the Son of Man comes.


I have been thinking about this passage a lot lately. Why do you think that He tells us all of this? I think it is because He wants us to know that living and walking with Him is not easy, and we shouldn't expect it to be so. Living for Christ and standing up for His truth and His way does not make us self-righteous and prideful, it makes us faithful to Him. This passage reminds us that faithfulness has consequences in this world, but has great rewards in Heaven.

Any other thoughts?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

that may be. . .it may also be, that what Jesus was intending for Christianity was for it to be some sort of underground movement. . .something that was unlike ANY sort of organized religion. . .maybe the radical groups, while they tend to be cult like and strange to our sensibilities, are actually closer to what jesus intended: Giving up material goods, living communally, forsaking families and careers in order to preach a message. Not a way of life that many can live, but certainly more consistent with the type of life that Jesus lived.

During the big "WWJD" craze of the 1990's, I often thought, when people would be talking about "what would Jesus do" in the context of a work dispute or whatever, that Jesus would quit the job, give away all of his money, live off the handouts of others and devote himself fully to what he described as the work of God.

Not to indict Christianity by any stretch of the imagination. . .I simply am pointing out the differences, and trying to answer YOUR question. The disparity that I see between the radical, revolutionary, living on the fringes of society christianity that you see in the followers of Jesus, and the socially acceptable, clean cut, polished, culturally friendly tyep of christianity that we see today is a hard pill for me to swallow personally. I am not sure if that same pill is what is causing you problems here or not.

Get some rest.

Anonymous said...

Conni,

I just kind of stumbled upon your blog. I was searching Ole' FHU on google to see what ye ole blogosphere had to say about it. I knew you while at Freed, in the Thomas era.

I came across a post about an email you got about "leaving the church" and your perception of freed. I'm not here to convince you otherwise or be mean or hurtful in any way, but it does bother me your treatment of Freed. There are some broad generalizations that may be true of a select few, but certainly not indicative of the whole school. I was not a christian when I attended, but became one while going there.

The interesting thing is that you are not alone in your feelings about freed, as I know lots of people who now freely and openly "dog" FHU after attending. It's a peculiar occurance to me, as most openly loved it (or professed to) while attending. Maybe you can help me out with this. Is it that everyone hits the real world, realizes that it's not like freed, and then resent FHU for it? It's hard to emote while writing, but it's an honest question and I'm not implying in any way that this was the case with you. I would just be curious to know your thoughts on the matter.

I, however, am quite the opposite. I openly made fun of FHU while attending (I was a bit wild by FHU standards during those first few years), but look back on my time at freed with fond memories.

At any rate, I hope that it's clear that I am just curious and don't seek to belittle any response you may happen to give. I know some enjoy doing those kinds of things...I've got better things to do with my time.

-Anonymous (for now at least)

Conni H. said...

anonymous- email me at mrsharb@charter.net if you want to have additional dialogue about FHU. I do not want to use my blog for the purposes of supporting, or not supporting FHU but am willing to chat with you about my experiences if you are interested.

conni