Sunday, July 30, 2006

Is it ever okay to lie?

.
Is it ever okay to not be completely truthful? Obviously we are told in Scripture that we are not to be liars. But is it EVER okay to tell a lie?

I am specifically thinking of these situations:

What if you are being asked to lie by your boss? (which I am not, just for the record)
What if you are being asked to lie because the truth will cause chaos?
What if telling the truth greatly impacts the quality of your life or the life of another?
What if you are being asked to lie by someone who has authority over you in some way?

I don't think that it is okay to lie. This opinion has gotten me into trouble many, many times, because I have told the truth in some situations. I have been asked to be less than truthful many times in recent months, and I have really struggled with it. I don't think that it is okay to ask someone to sin, and lying is absolutely sin. So, I have refused to lie, and been portrayed as the bad guy. Was I wrong? Is it EVER okay to lie? What if telling the truth provokes others to stumble or sin? (Do you believe that God always provides another option besides sin?)

Is it ever okay to lie? I think not.
What do you think?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WOW- this is a hard one - if you are totally honest with yourself. We all have lied about something. I was raised to tell the truth - but my mom said there are times when you didn't need to tell ALL the truth - just make sure what you said was the truth. I have had to practice this trait often in my life. a