Saturday, February 17, 2007

VERY STRONG FEELINGS

In America...
we have the right to have opinions.
In America...
we have the right to disagree.
In America...
we have the right to have differences.
In America...
we have a right to have preferences.
In America...
we have a right to free speech.
In America...
we have the right to worship...
In America...
we have the right to a lot of things...

AND.... as Americans and as humans we have the RESPONSIBILITY to exercise our rights reasonably and responsibly. Our rights are only valid when we exercise good judgement and kindness. For example, we have the right to free speech, but can be sued for slander or deformation of character. We have the right to disagree, but if someone gets murdered for thinking differently or worshipping differently, the right no longer has any validity.

I am so fed up with the "eye for an eye" theory. Okay, so I may not agree with the war in Iraq (and maybe I do), but I don't spout off at elected officials or portray negative attitudes about the country in which we live. I may not agree with everything our President does or says (and maybe I do), but the long and short of it is....WE ELECTED HIM, AND FOR NOW, HE IS THE PRESIDENT- we need to make the best of it. And, we are kidding ourselves if we think that he makes decisions on his own. Perhaps those who are slandering our President and our county should vote in the next election, contact their congressmen/women or run for office themselves. If you can do better, by all means, I urge you to step up- but until then, PLEASE stop spreading negativity and causing more harm to America by promoting devisiveness and anger. We have a responsibility to be kind and respectful.

As Americans, we are SO blessed to have SO MANY freedoms, and it angers me a great deal that some people take those freedoms as a lisence to do whatever they want- even if it causes harm to someone else.

Freedom DOES NOT equal the right to do and say whatever we want without consequence. Honesty does NOT mean that we say everything that we think and feel.

Freedom equals RESPONSIBILITY.

And to the people out there who are so unhappy with America, and "what this country has turned into," you have the FREEDOM to move to another county whenever you are ready.

I am so sad for you that you can't see just how blessed we all are to live in such a wonderful country. Because most people in the world don't have 1/2 of the freedoms that we do in AMERICA!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

funny. . .I seem to remember that you were HIGHLY critical of Bill Clinton when he was president.

Strange how the Christian right was all up in arms cause he got his jollies with another consenting adult, but seem so defensive and forgiving of our current president, whose actions are resulting in the deaths of countless innocents.

Anonymous said...

As an American, born and bred, I have the rights guaranteed to me by the Constitution. I have voted in every election since my 18th birthday...and I know no party lines. I vote for the best person (in my opinion) for the job, no matter which party they align themselves.

As an American, I accept that we elect our President to four year terms. This is laid out in our Constitution and I acknowledge that reality.

As an American, I DO NOT have to agree with who we, the voting public, elect. I am given the right to have my own opinions and the right to express them. I was given that right by our forefathers, and by the countless men and women who have died guaranteeing me these right. I WILL NOT dishonor their sacrafices by not voicing my feelings about serious wrongs and injustices.

The current President is very misguided in his decisions, whethere they are his alone or he has been advised of these. America, a great country and a beacon of freedom, is no longer respected around the world. Our debacle in Iraq has diminished us in other's eyes; not just those in the Middle East, but also in Western countries that we normally count as our allies.

September 11, 1991, changed us forever. However, for us to become tyrannical and vindictive makes us no better than those who used airplanes as missiles.

May God bless us and our leaders, for we surely need it.

Anonymous said...

Just goes to show that I should always proofread before I post. September 11, 2001, is what I meant and what I was thinking, unfortunately my fingers didn't get the memo.

Conni H. said...

You are right. 9-11 changed us forever..... but it sounds to me like you are mad at the wrong person.

3Q- I have 2 things to say.... Bill Clinton was president a long time ago... and I have grown a great deal since then.... I have learned a lot since then.

and one more thing.... 3Q... I know that you have been hurt by religion... (just as I have)... but not all conversations have to turn to generalized statements about how CHRISTIANS feel. We all dont feel, think, or even believe the same things.

Guatorean Daddy said...

I have had a political fantasy playing in my head for quite some time...wouldn't it be great for us to "heap coals" (Romans 12:20)on the heads of all our enemies by helping out their distraught populatioins with humanitarian aid. I am excited this is beginning to unfold in N.Korea, because changes will come. This hits close to home because our next child is coming from S. Korea (although I wish we could get her from N. Korea).

As part of the Christian right (I guess-I'm not really sure what that really means), my take on Bill Clinton is this: there's a big distinction if the 2 consenting adults have an employer/employee relationship-there's a higher level of responsibility. Plus he lied under oath. When all this scandalous info became public, I was judgemental at first, then realizing my own shortcomings, felt sorry for the man. He is broken and imperfect, and no different than many men I know-including myself. He lied under oath and caused grief to his family-probably long term to his daughter. I believe in 2nd and 3rd chances, and would probably vote for him if it was constitutional. But then I'm more of an NPR guy, than a FOX toe-the-line Republican.