Monday, February 12, 2007

"The Botanically Unexplained"

.
Okay, get this... Bekah is in the gifted program at school, and the class does a lot of unusual studies and projects. They have studied futuristic items, stock market, world cultures, 3-D design, pop culture, debate (including arguments for and against cloning, stem cell research and corporal punishment). The gifted class is designed for those with an IQ that meets gifted standards by the state of Missouri, and for those who are mature enough to handle the extra work and responsibility of being in a gifted program. Recently, the group started studying the paranormal. Bekah's group was assigned "Crop Circles" to research and study.

Today, Bekah came home and told me that the study of "Crop Circles" was offensive to a class member, and now they have to call the study "The Botanically Unexplained."

Does this seem a little unusual or a little over the top to anyone except Bekah and me?

Study of Cloning= acceptable
Study of Crop Circles = unacceptable

Who sets the standards of what is okay to study.... nationally accredited curriculum, or those who may be afraid of what they don't already know or understand? I just don't get it.

I am offended that Ladue chooses to have Middle School Events on Wednesday evenings, and that the High School has Gay/Straight Alliance Week.....but they didn't change those things when an objection was noted.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cloning and crop circle discussions/debates are perfectly acceptable.

Middle school discussions on Wednesdays are perfectly acceptable, they have many people to accommodate, so I have no issues with that.

Gay/Straight Alliance Week in the high school, that is some of the best news I have ever heard.

I am most concerned why they changed the name of the Crop Circles debate, that was ignorant in my opinion.

Anonymous said...

Oops, middle school EVENTS, not discussions. Sorry, that is what I get for trying to do more than a few things at once.

Anonymous said...

As a side note/question, why are your blog times show up as Pacific time?

Conni H. said...

I dunno.... I guess I never noticed. Thanks for pointing it out.

Anonymous said...

I am not typing very well tonight. I should have said "showing up as Pacific time." I need to proof read before I post. Sorry.