Monday, September 15, 2008

A home with a view...

A home with a view…

Well, as many of you know, Hurricane Ike made it all the way to the mid-west as a tropical storm. Good old Ike was kind enough to create a beautiful waterfront view for the Harbison family.

Sunday morning the entire St. Louis area was under a flash flood warning. We didn’t think much of it. Bekah came in and woke me, and said, “Mom, the rain is awesome- come see it!” I got up and went out on the porch to experience the weather first hand. After all, we just had a sewer separation system put in, and that made it a pretty certain thing that our basement would NOT be getting any water. For the first time since we moved to Ladue, I was excited about the storm.

As dramatic as it sounds, my mood changed virtually in an instant. The water kept rising and rising. Within 5 minutes it seemed that leaving our home was going to be dangerous. I told Bekah to get the things that were important to her, and to be prepared to leave. I called Jen at work and told her she had 3 minutes to tell me what she wanted me to grab of hers… Jason hurried home, and brought a few friends with him.

Bekah and I left our house, (with Mikki in hand), and walked through waist deep water to get to drier land. It was scary as we could feel the current pulling at us while trying to fight the emotion of the likelihood that we were walking away from our home for the last time.

With the firemen, we stood up the road as our water became deeper and deeper. It was a helpless feeling, but we were thankful that we were safe. Jason and the gang moved as much as possible as high as possible, before it was no longer safe to stay.

This picture shows what our front yard looked like as we left our home. It was overwhelming.

The basement was COMPLETELY full and the water covered several inches of the first floor of our home. (Not exactly sure how much yet.)

Today, we returned to the house. WOW. Our Christmas ornaments (which were in the basement) were scattered in the yard. Shoes were wedged in between furniture. Appliances were knocked over. It looked like a HURRICANE hit our house.

We don’t know what the future holds, but we have started cleaning. We ripped up the carpet today, and washed every piece of clothing that we own. We were able to save some… some was ruined. We lost a lot of “things” but I am reminded that they are just “things.” My family and I are safe, and no one got hurt.

We appreciate your thoughts and prayers.

Love and hugs to all.

2 comments:

Becky said...

How horrible!! I'm so sorry!! I'm SO glad everyone is OK! I'll be thinking about you!!

Jenny Reijgers said...

Everyone was talking about your house taking in some water, i had no idea it was that bad. Were you able to rescue your pictures? That, other than people & pets, would be my biggest concern. I hope things get back to normal for you all real soon.