Sunday, April 08, 2007

Easter Ham

I was with a few friends tonight, and we were talking about what we had eaten for Easter lunch. We started talking about how ham is the most common Easter meat, and we wondered why. A few ideas bounced around the room, but I wanted to see what the internet had to say about it, because everyone knows that everything you read on the internet is true! :)

Anyway, I visited several sites, and here is the most common answer to the question-

Why do we eat ham on Easter?

"Because the Old Testament forbade pork, and in Christ's New Testament the old food laws no longer hold. "

Does anyone out there (perhaps a scholar) have another explanation as to why most of us eat Ham on Easter?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We had leg of lamb yesterday, it was divine. I don't remember eating ham on Easter growing up, but I will have to check with my mom to make sure I am remembering right.

Anonymous said...

The pagans also celebrated the spring holiday. . in fact, the name "Easter" comes from the veneration of the Germanic Goddess of the Dawn. The pagans ate pork.

Easter is one of those wonderful amalgamated holidays of Christendom. . .consolidating the best of Jewish and pagan customs, and placing them within the framework of the Christian Story.