Friday, June 08, 2007

Serving others by doing something you love...

Our youth minister Jimmy, has really put a strong emphasis on serving others- others in the community, the church, over seas... or whoever we can. I have been thankful for the encouragement that he has offered our girls to serve. I have also been thankful that our girls have been willing to serve in various ways.

Bekah impressed me today with something that she did. She learned today that she had a great opportunity to do something later this summer that is an exciting opportunity. It is something that was a great honor to be asked to do. She was excited, but then she remembered that she had already made a committment to do something else during the same time period. She had the opportunity to "get out of it," but she chose to do what she originally committed to. She said, "Mom, it's a no-brainer... those kids with cancer that I already committed to need me to do what I said I would do." I was so proud.

Now, I know that it sounds like I am bragging on Bekah, (which I guess I am), but I am equally bragging on Jimmy and the lessons that he is teaching our kids. I am thankful for him.

I really said all of that to say this... we are called to serve. When we thinking of "service" or "community service" we often think that it has to be hard- but it doesn't have to be. We think of raking leaves, or cutting down trees, pulling weeds, or working at a soup kitchen. But service can be so much more than that. Service can be babysitting, a hug, working a charity event, being in a play that benefits those with disabilities, singing in funeral, making a meal, talking with someone who needs a friend.... etc. You get the point. Service can be anything! It doesn't always have to be dirty or gross, or even hard. Just find something that you are good at, and that you enjoy, and use it for God's glory by finding a way to serve others with it.

We will always have opportunities for service. I hope we will all keep our eyes open for opportunities to serve. Thanks Jimmy for the lesson, and Bekah for the example!

No comments: